Maria,
I disagree with your basic premise--that the "In a society that is
becoming more and more about self-interest, stemming from the right wings,
philosophy."
I agree that society is adopting an ever increasing philosophy of
selfishness and self-serving, but disagree that it is the "right wings
philosophy" that has led to this.  Here in the United States I see this
demonstrated by the philosophy that says, "I have a disability therefore
the government must support me through other people's taxes--even if I can
work and be self supporting and don't need the financial help the
government owes me."
In this regard, I wonder if it may not be the "left wing's" philosophy of
"the government owes me" that has led to much of the selfishness I believe
I see in society today.

I personally am very resistant to any "blame placing" that does so based
on political philosophy.  I know of many "right wing conservatives" who
are very generous and giving--but also know of many "right wing
conservatives" who are very stingy and selfish.   But then again, I know
of many "left wing liberals" who are very generous and giving--and also
know of many "left wing liberals" who are very stingy and selfish.
Personal politics may play a part in the current philosophies, but I
believe that it is a very small part.

As a man with a visible disability (in that I use a power wheelchair all
of the time) for about 4 years I have found that many in society respond
negatively to me, my disability, my wheelchair, my adaptive equipment, and
even my family when they are with me.  Quite often I do receive pity, but
not acceptance (and this has been balanced between both liberals and
conservatives).  For this reason, and many more, I tend to recommend to
people not to disclose disability until necessary--when they request
accommodations for instance.
Thank you,
Jimmy Weber
Disability Program Navigator
Iowa Workforce Development
2508 4th Street
Sioux City, Iowa 51101
Voice: 712-233-9030 ext 1045,
TTY: 1-800-831-1399
Fax: 712-277-8438

(Employment Information & Jobs For Anyone)

As we approach  the end of course 2004, I find myself pondering a question
your help please.

As a women with multiple disabilities among others a few invisible
impairments, ( Learning disabilities)   I’ m privileged    to understand
the temptation of wanting to play up or play down the disability card at
will. Yet my (visible) physical disabilities do not allow me to  hide
these identities, should I at some point, want to do so.

In the last few years I have been confronted with a few women who have
confided they have hidden disabilities and that they use the identity of
disability to obtain privileges and hide it when among non-disabled
community.  This for some reason seemed wrong and patronizing to me. I
could be wrong or jealous as one of them accused me of being.

 From a feminist stand point, and Independent Living point   we claim that
we support choice for all, and from the feminist stand point I learned
that power is the roots of violence against women. Violence against women
begins in a very slow way with conceal messages from the abusers. As a
survivor  of  institutional violence I accepted that as confirming my
experience

 If in effect violence is about power then what are these   individuals
really doing to those of us who do not have the privilege of hiding what
society devalues and considers unwanted?

 In a society that is becoming more and more about self-interest, stemming
from the right wings, philosophy.

I’m not suggesting  that they are themselves  creating act of physical
violence, but they are supporting  and maintaining  the privilege of a
traditional non tolerant  society,    where white non-disabled men are the
norm and deserving of privileges.

Where do those of us who can not, or may not want to hide our physical,
mental difference belong? Are these privileged individuals, in very
indirect way supporting eugenics ideologies?

Or have I completely missed understood the rules for radical ?

Maria

are now located at:

An Equal Opportunity Employer/Program
Auxiliary aids and services are available upon request for individuals with disabilities.