Date sent:              Tue, 28 Dec 2004 21:20:09 +0000
Send reply to:          Mitzi Waltz <[log in to unmask]>
From:                   Mitzi Waltz <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:                Re: Invisible disabilities and the disability card
To:                     [log in to unmask]

> Maria said:
> >In the last few years I have been confronted with a few women who have
> confided they have hidden disabilities and that they use the identity of
> disability to obtain privileges and hide it when among non-disabled
> community.  This for some reason seemed wrong and patronizing to me. I
> could be wrong or jealous as one of them accused me of being.
> >
> I don't think I understand what "privileges" one could obtain by using a "disabled" identity. Having food to eat and a
> place to live are not privileges, they are human rights. All of us wheel & deal for these things, by claiming one
> identity or another,or by performing labour, usually with far more profit accrusing to someone other than
> ourselves.
> The few actual "privileges" I can think of are quite minor things--getting a pass to avoid lines at Disneyland, for
> example, or having a parking pass. These kinds of privileges are often given to celebrities and the rich as well, and
> similar items can be blagged on grounds other than disability. I'd say, don't feel jealous--be in solidarity, and work
> towards others (yourself, also!) being accomodated, treated nicely, etc. They are hiding their disability whilst in
> non-disabled society because of prejudice, most likely. I see this all the time with students, past experience has
> taught them that if they can keep things quiet, that is the wisest course of action. It's like staying in the closet
> when you're gay--not ideal, not great, but for some people in some situations and places, sadly the only workable
> option. Definitely a sitution to worrk against, but I wouldn't put down anyone for making a personal decision about
> being "out" about, for example, mental illness in some situations but not others.

  I can think a few stereotypical examples of  a 'mental illness'
being used as 'crutch' to ' get ahead' (although I don't know if "
privilege " is the right word to describe this).

1) You're taking a difficult class in university and are unable to
finish an assignment. You ask the instructor for an extension,
citing your disability as the consideration -- ie., high anxiety, OCD,
depression.

2) You're applying to a competive LAW school -- haven't got high
enough LSAT scores to get in through the regular stream, so you
claim a mental disability has prevented you from performing to your
ability on the LSAT and apply in an alternative stream (with a less
competitive pool of students to compete against)

3) You have the usual deadlines to meet at work. To avoid the
heavy load, you claim that your "mental illness" (disability)
prevents you from taking on too many tasks at one time. You cite
the "fact" that stress often precipates mental disorders).

4) You mention that you have a disability in your application for a
government job. There is quota set for the number of disabled
people to be hired and as a result you are selected for the position.

DOQ

are now located at: