Sadly we have not all gone home - but perhaps we should be thinking about it. Merry Christmas.

Mike

-----Original Message-----
From: The CETIS Metadata Special Interest Group [mailto:[log in to unmask]]On Behalf Of Sarah Currier
Sent: 23 December 2004 14:57
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Latest work in progress draft of UK LOM Core online

come on guys, i think everyone else has gone home
very amusing though!  :-)
merry christmas, metaphiles
sarah

Pete Johnston wrote:

Andy,

Heheh...

All the evidence that I've seen seems to indicate that the

only bits of LOM that get used are those bits already covered

by DC-Education.  But with DC you get a highly extensible

underlying model [1], a choice of syntaxes [2] and a globally

unique approach to identifying terms in the metadata using

URIs [3].  So the kind of nonesense above simply does not

arise - well, not often! :-)

Of course we have our own very special strains of nonsense over in

DC-world, carefully cultivated over the years. ;-)

Newcomer: "So the creator of a resource must by definition also be a

contributor, right? So dc:creator is a subproperty of dc:contributor. It

must be, given your definitions."

DC-Veteran: "'Subproperty', eh? That's what we call refinement round

here, right? Oooh, no, lad, you couldn't possibly say that."

Newcomer: "But 'An entity primarily responsible for making the content'

is also 'An entity responsible for making contributions to the content',

right? If they are 'primarily' doing it they must also be

'contributing', by definition."

DC-Veteran: "That's as may be, lad, but we couldn't possibly say it was

a refinement. Ooooh, no. We'd end up with 14 elements in Simple DC

then."

Newcomer: "No, I don't think so, you could still define dc:creator as

part of Simple DC if you wanted and -"

DC-Veteran (puzzled): "Oooh no, nothing in Simple DC refines anything

else. They don't 'dumb down'."

Newcomer: "Ah, yes. 'Dumb-down'. Funny expression. That's RDFS

inferencing, right?"

DC-Veteran (frowning): "Aye, if you say so, son."

Newcomer: "But a refinement is a subproperty, and RDFS says subproperty

means -"

DC-Veteran (agitated): "Now, look, sonnie, yer come round here from yer

big city with yer new-fangled talk of 'subproperties' and 'inferencing'

and yer start telling me dc:creator is a refinement of dc:contributor.

Folks don't like that sort of talk round here, d'yer understand? They

don't like it!"

Newcomer: "But RDFS says - "

DC-Veteran (standing and shouting): "I've had enough of yer RDFS this

and yer RDFS that. I've told yer, we DON'T LIKE that sort of talk! It

UPSETS people!"

Newcomer exits hastily and runs off in search of coherent metadata

schema.....

*ducks*

Pete

Ms. Sarah Currier

Librarian, Stòr Cùram Project

"A Storehouse of Learning Resources for Social Care"

Dept. of Social Work, University of Strathclyde

c/o: Centre for Academic Practice, University of Strathclyde

Graham Hills Building, 50 George Street

Glasgow G1 1QE, Scotland, United Kingdom

Web:  http://www.storcuram.ac.uk/

Tel.: +44 (0)141 548 4573   Fax: +44 (0)141 553 2053

E-mail:  [log in to unmask]   Mob.: +44 (0)7980 855 801

Stòr Cùram is Gaelic for Storehouse of Care