From: Accident and Emergency Academic List
[mailto:[log in to unmask]]On Behalf Of
Sent: 04 December 2004 16:15
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Defining who will not survive out of hospital cardiac
arrest

In message  <009d01c4da04$dac674e0$9d74353e@Souix> Michael Bjarkoy <[log in to unmask]> writes:
> Hi Rowley
> I have been thinking about this for a while and here are a few observations.
>
> AMI arrested patients are usually in VF in the first instance. Non shockable
> arrests are often (but not always) due to other mechanical causes such as
> trauma, OD, hypovolaemia (basically the 4 Hs and 4Ts).
>
> If we accept that in a hospital setting the patient has a better prognosis
> for the non-shockable side of the arrest flowchart than in a prehospital
> setting we should not just accept that it is a fact of life (or death) but
> challenge the flaws in the system which allows this to be.
>
> Since the ambulance dispute in the late 1980s we have had to accept the
> notion that there must be one paramedic on each ambulance. The result is
> mediocrity in education and application of care. If look toward a system
> (Medic One, Seattle) where success for non-shockable arrests are better we
> could learn some of valuable points.
> 1. Educate paramedics along side physicians in hospital by experienced
> physicians
> 2. Reduce paramedics to less than 20% of the workforce
> 3. Have 2 paramedics on a Medic Unit
> 4. Release paramedics from protocols and guidelines and allow autonomous
> practice
> 5. Reduce the type of incidents that paramedics go to ALS only
> 6. Give them the range of drug and invasive skill interventions that reflect
> an A&E dept
> 7. Offer a comprehensive in hospital continuing education
>
> If the above is implemented then the success rates from out of hospital
> arrests for non-VF/VT patients will increase.

I disagree (now there's something unusual!!).  Success rates increase with increased bystander CPR and increased access to early defibrillation - neither related to paramedic education.

And not sure that an in-hosp education programme is the way to go ... ?

And think that "ALS-only" calls is not the way to go either - what exactly is an ALS-only call?  Some of the "minor" calls need far more experience to be left at home safely.

No evidence that a second ALS staff member on a unit improves outcomes.

;)

Cheers
Anton

--
This email has been electronically scanned using
DynaComm i:mail filtering software.

If you have any questions please email

Tony Daniel
Sam Shayer