Need you ask? Fully paid up member. And their website's very entertaining too!

But before someone corrects me about apostrophes and eponyms, yes, most eponyms do retain their apostrophes just like any other possessive nouns. However, many eponyms are used adjectivally rather than possessively, so the apostrophe will be omitted, for example, Monteggia fracture, Guedel airway, Foley catheter, Apgar score, Christmas disease, etc. The thing about Colles fracture, however, is that no-one really knows if it's being used adjectivally or possessively. Personally, I prefer to opt for the former so that I can save a keystroke!

I can tell it's getting far too close to Christmas for comfort...

AF

Jel Coward <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
In article <[log in to unmask]>,
Adrian Fogarty writes
> (And especially when they called it a Colle's fracture.
> The apostrophe may be optional in eponyms, but if you do choose to
> use it, then clearly it should be used correctly!)

http://www.apostrophe.fsnet.co.uk/

The Apostrophe Protection Society
23 Vauxhall Road, Boston, Lincs. PE21 0JB
United Kingdom

Are you a member Adrian?

Cheers :)
--