I totally agree with Danny's comments - I'm afraid in A&E we seem more concerned about how long people have to wait rather than concentrating on clinical need! If we're to be perfectly honest how many people who attend A&E really need to be there anyway? The majority of them should have attended their own GP - particularly with their 2 month old injury for which they've never bothered to try and self treat or seek previous medical advice! Whether they get to see their own GP within a reasonable time is a different matter entirely - they need to get past the battle-axe GP receptionist first!

If someone needs urgent treatment based on clinical need I think we endeavour to the best of our ability to make sure their needs are met - unfortunately it is this as well as other things like delays in obtaining investigations that cause people to breach waiting times not because we're sitting on our backsides drinking coffee!

Marco Bennett