Adrian - the 4 H's and 4 T's are not isolated to PEA cases - the ALS course teaches that they should be considered for ALL cases of cardiac arrest.

Andy

Adrian Fogarty <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
Sorry, but that logic just doesn't follow Michael i.e. your assertion that many in-hospital arrests are preventable so therefore they must be reversible. Preventability and reversibility are two distinct entities. For example, RTAs are preventable, strokes are preventable, cancer is preventable, yet none of these conditions are what one would normally consider reversible. What Lewis is saying, I believe, is that many patients can be prevented from reaching "end-stage" at which point they subsequently arrest, but by the time they do arrest then it's too late to do anything about it, for obvious physiological reasons that I'll allow someone else to explain (I'm sure Matt or Rowley will oblige in a suitably long and complex email)!

And as for the four Hs and four Ts, this mnemonic refers only, of course, to the preventable causes of EMD (PEA) that are traditionally taught on ALS courses. These causes probably, however, only account for a minority of all cases of EMD seen in practice. Most causes of this condition are inherently untreatable, for example, massive MI leading to global ventricular akinesia, septal rupture, ventricular rupture etc.

Adrian

Michael Bjarkoy <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
Hello Lewis
Agree on many levels with your comments.

Many hospitals in England now have an alert system to identify patients who
are in a peri-arrest condition and hopefully the arrest event is avoided. If
the Resus Council are to be believed then the patients who suffer a cardiac
arrest in hospital have a greater chance of being in PEA/Asystole (Gwinnutt.
C et al. Resuscitation. 2000;47: 125-135). 30-70% of the cardiac arrests can
be avoided by utilising Medical Emergency Teams (ALS Causes and Prevention
PowerPoint presentation. Sept 2003). Therefore if they can be avoided they
are probably reversible and therefore should be more salvageable in hospital
than an out-of-hospital PEA/Asystole.

Potential reversible causes:
Hypoxia - basic and then advanced airway management to secure intact gag
reflexes.
.Hypovolaemia - ID cause ! ! and go to theatres
.Hypo/hyperkalaemia & metabolic disorders - ID blood gas abnormality and
administer calcium, Sodium Bicarb etc
.Hypothermia - passive/active/ invasive rewarming.
.Tension pneumothorax - needle thoracotomy and then chest drain
.Tamponade- pericardiocentisis
.Toxic/therapeutic disorders - ID via TOXBASE specific drug treatment and
administer
.Thrombo-embolic & mechanical obstruction - surgery/thrombolytics

Of the 4 Hs and 4 Ts many of the treatments are out of the scope of
paramedics at present as they don't have an education in the UK which
reflect the UK Resus Council guidelines

I agree with your sentiments, I too find the concept of placing such things
as paralytics or allowing central lines in the UK Prehospital environment
very scary and I would be the first to support anyone who wishes to
introduce it at this moment in time. So I ask myself if I have
contraindicated myself? I don't think so.
! I referred to Medic One in Seattle as they have been applying Mobile
Intensive Care Paramedicine for a few decades now and therefore can be
regarded as a true reflection what can be achieved if given the correct
education and have the support of the medical community.
Seattle paramedics have a 9 month full time clinical course along side of
the medics in ER they are regarded as part of the ER team and as such there
is no suspicion regarding their competency.
All their calls are scrutinised by the medical director as such quality is
assured.
The paramedic / EMT ratio is weighted in the favour of EMTs and therefore
exposure to ALS calls per paramedic is greater.
They only go on ALS calls and therefore are current and competent. The
majority of their extended procedures and drugs are targeted toward
non-trauma cases.

These guys are no different to myself and my colleagues with the exception
of education and drug/skill interventions available to them. If there is to
be any hope for the victims of out of hospital PEA/Asystole arrests then we
need to be more aggressive in our management. If the evidence states that
these patients are no-hopers, then where is the ethical/legal issues which
the medical community are concerned about, regarding extending our skills in
the UK to match that of Seattle - or nearer to home - the UK A&E depts?

Mike Bjarkoy