I always found it fascinating that the Council of Bari
(1098) was held around the tomb of St. Nick. That must have
such a subtle jibe at the Greeks -- chastising them for
their trinitarian theology while showing them who had their
patron saint as well. Urban II was no fool...

Jim

> Nicholas (Santa Claus) (d. c. 350)  Good St. Nick was
> probably born at Patara in Lycia (Asia Minor).  He became
> bishop of Myra, where he was soon famous for his piety and
> miracles.  He was imprisoned during Diocletian's
> persecution, attended the council of Nicaea, and died at
> Myra.  Legend goes on to make him much more interesting
> than these bare facts, telling how he provided dowries for
> three poor girls (whose father intended to put them to
> work as prostitutes) by throwing bags of gold into their
> house, saved three innocent men from an unjust death
> sentence, resurected three "pickled boys" (who had been
> murdered and put in brine), etc.---he seems to have been
> extremely trinitarian in his thinking.  N's relics were
> brought to Bari in 1087, where his shrine became one of
> the great pilgrimage centers of the Middle Ages. He is the
> patron of storm-tossed sailors (he miraculously saved some
> mariners from a storm---I wouldn't be surprised if there
> were three of them) and of children.  This year's saint
> book adds that the modern figure of Santa Claus is really
> non-Christian and is based on the god Thor.  (Any
> comment?)  Nick is also the patron saint of Greece, Apulia
> , Sicily, Lorraine, and Russia.

James Ginther
Assoc. Professor of Medieval Theology
& Director of Graduate Studies