I believe the topic was "water at Moissac." And you did express an opinion, which I'm delighted you've either forgotten or abandoned ;-)
MG

-- Christopher Crockett <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

From: Marjorie Greene <[log in to unmask]>

> Last time I checked med-art, you were denying rather vigorously that the
tympanum at Moissac was apocalyptic in theme and had a rather large fit at the
suggestion that the "glassy sea" of "Holy, Holy, Holy" (inspired by Rev.) was
depicted there. Have you changed your mind?

mmmm.... you talkin to *me* ??

well, a young fellow can certainly change his mind, esp. if pressed.

or, in a pinch, deny either ever having had one or expressing an opinion using
it.

specifically, i don't recall expressing an opinion about the iconography of
the Moissac typmpanum, on Medart or anywhere else, even though, being most
Fundamentally Clueless about the subject, i would certainly qualify myself to
do that --and to defending it rather vigorously, with or without fits, large
or small, as necessity required.

off the top of my pointy head, it sure do *look* rather Apopscalyptiscalistic
:

http://vrcoll.fa.pitt.edu/medart/image/France/Moissac/abbey/porch/Tympanum/moisptymp.html

there's Whatsisname amongst the four winged Beasts

http://vrcoll.fa.pitt.edu/medart/image/France/Moissac/abbey/porch/Tympanum/Moissac-Portal-tymp-001-s.jpg

in the presence of the 24 Elders holding their viols, cups, whatnot and
wherewithal

http://vrcoll.fa.pitt.edu/medart/image/France/Moissac/abbey/porch/Tympanum/Moissac-Portal-tymp-012-s.jpg

what else could it be?

clue me.

otOh, you, MG, among others, should have caught my error in listing Etampes
among portals inspired by the BoR --although it partially is, but perhaps only
in the archivolts, where the Elders appear.

and my ommissive sin of leaving out suchlike places as Beaulieu[-en-Dordogne,
i believe it is] and Conques in my very incomplete list of "romanesque"
portals inspired by the BoR.

i figured i could afford to be careless with that list since my point was that
one could compile a pretty good stack of examples, most all from the second
and third quarter of the 12th c.

clearly *some*thing was going on, Millennial-wise, around that time, in
South-Central and Central France, it seems to me.

we (I) tend to think of middlevil iconographic programs as being "eternal"
--and, of course, they are.  in a sense.

but, i've been playing around with the idea for quite a while now that they
--or at least some of them, esp. early on-- might have been a hellofa lot more
time and place *specific* than is dreampt of in our Philosophies.

a good, solid, Loin-Melting Tsunami of Pure Fear passing through those
particular regions of France in those particular decades might go a long ways
towards explaining the real context behind these rather bizarre, sci-fi-like
Visual Manifestations, which are (nearly) all that remain of the Reality of
ces temps la.

Landes would know.

but, he's not telling.

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]

NetZero Gift Certificates
Give the gift of Internet access this holiday season.
http://www.netzero.com/give

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]