> There's also an account of the founding of Thebes in Lydgate's "Siege
> of Thebes" (also his continuation of Chaucer's Canterbury Tales) in
> which the founder measures the land with an ox hide.

A seemingly related practice, known from several European cities, including
Chartres, was the annual donation by a city of a candle the length of the circuit of its
walls.  These would be wound up into a skein, and in some instances, people would
be assigned to make sure they kept burning through the year.
Cheers,
Jim Bugslag

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]