To everyone I would strongly recommend the book "Il reale e il possibile" - it integrates literary, journalistic, and film texts.... all to serve discussion of modern cultural thinking in Italy, in ways that make it very easy for students not yet familiar with Italy to relate. [The book leaves the strictly historical investigation of certain topics to the teacher and students, which I like.]  Very big on social change, and does a great job presenting it.  Readings are sophisticated yet written in a very accessible manner...authors have found a great style that does not "talk down" to students and yet is very straightforward.  Big on social change in Italy and the world. At Fordham (Bronx, NY)  this fall it has been a great hit with my students.  The come in ready for discussion, and they retain new vocabulary. In general the exercises are wonderful, of the "review grammar" type.  Split into units such as "i bambini" "la tecnologia" "le donne" "il lavoro"... I believe the authors are
 Mauri-Jacobsen and Bellezza (please pardon me if the names are not exact).  I don't get any royalties, do not know the authors, just am very enthusiastic about this book. Oh yes, and by including discussio of a section of one film script in each unit, it integrates the use of film in a novel way...works best if you are sure students have access to all the films at the beginning of the semester...in some parts of world, some titles not available. But this shouldn't stop you from considering this fine book.
Mirna Cicioni <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

Dear Members,

since times and Italian Studies students are changing, I would be
interested to hear about your experiences and decisions concerning
introductory courses on 20th- and 21st-century Italy for first-year
students.

Usually such courses have one or more of the following:

* a "historical" component (which may include fascism, the Resistance,
the Constitution, the South, the Mafia and the Camorra, the present
state of political play);

* a "social change" component (women, the family, reproduction issues,
migration issues);

* a "cultural studies" component (which may include fashion, design,
sport, folklore, contemporary music)

* a "literary" component.

The inevitable questions seem to be (a) what is "essential" and what is
"optional", although potentially interesting? (b) can all the
components be combined into a coherent whole, or could fragmentation be
"built into" the classes? (c) if a historical/ political component is
to be part of the course, how to make it palatable to students who may
never have had an interest in history or politics?

I would very much like to hear what has worked (in terms both of
positive reception and of growing interest for Italian culture in
subsequent years) and what has not, for members in European countries
(closer to Italy) and in the US, Canada, NZ and other countries for
whose inhabitants travel to Italy is an infrequent occurrence.

Thanks in advance,

Mirna Cicioni

--
Dr Mirna Cicioni
Italian Studies Program

Tel. 61-3-9905-2212
Fax 61-3-9905-5437

To join the list, send the message: join italian-studies YOUR NAME
to: [log in to unmask]
To leave the list, send the message: leave italian-studies
to: [log in to unmask]
http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/italian-studies.html

Nuovo Yahoo! Messenger E' molto più divertente: Audibles, Avatar, Webcam, Giochi, Rubrica… Scaricalo ora!