(APOLOGIES FOR CROSS POSTING)
Esteemed colleagues,

I'd like to inform you of my new book, A Fatal Attraction Public Television and Politics in Italy, Lanham, Maryland: Rowman & Littlefield, December 2004. This book looks at the history of Italian public service broadcasting, analyzes its relationship with the political party system, and offers an historical perspective for interpreting the contemporary phenomenon of concentration of media and political power in Italy.

"A fantastic book. Essential reading for anyone interested in politics, communication, or Italy." David Cox, Broadcasting Policy Group, London

"The history of Italian television is...relevant not only for comprehending the history of the country but also...for understanding the present phase of its politics. This book is a valuable resource for anyone wishing to develop such understanding." Giuseppe Richeri, University of Italian Switzerland, from the Foreword

A Fatal Attraction is what really happens to the reader of Padovani's book after a few pages: you cannot stop reading it. It is not only a skillfully and professionally crafted analysis of the fascinating relationship between, and history of, politics and media journalism in Italy. It is also a passionate journey through the troubled waters of the relationship between truth and power, in search of the meaning of the former in media and of the boundaries of the latter in democracy. I would recommend the book to anyone who is concerned with the future of democracies in our societies." Sergio Finardi, journalist and U.S. correspondent for "Il Manifesto" (Rome)

Contents:
Introduction: Public Service Broadcasting, The Party System and Democracy; Democracy in Italy (1945-2003); RAI and the Party System (Part I); RAI and the Party System (Part II); Lottizzazione: A Normal Practice for Public Service Journalists; Conclusion: Political Power and the Media; Glossary; Bibliography; Index.

Padovani, Cinzia. A Fatal Attraction Public Television and Politics in Italy. Rowman & Littlefield, December 2004, 284 pages. Cloth ISBN 0-7425-1949-X. You can order the book by contacting R&L customer service at [log in to unmask] (toll free number inside the U.S. 800 462-6420), or go to www.rowmanlittlefield.com (List price $72.00, discount price $58.00. To obtain discount, please order using this code: 4S4PADOV).

To join the list, send the message: join italian-studies YOUR NAME
to: [log in to unmask]
To leave the list, send the message: leave italian-studies
to: [log in to unmask]
http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/italian-studies.html