1.  News and Views
e-News from Britain in Europe and the European Movement

To receive an attractive HTML e-newsletter direct, write to
The Queen and the EU
By Royal Appointment? - The Daily Mirror reported this week that the Queen
"paid tribute to the European Union and Nato in building peace between
Britain and Germany". In her message at a state banquet in Berlin, the Queen
said "one of the bedrocks has been the partnership between our two countries
within Nato and the European Union, which grew so successfully out of the
need to address together the challenges of the post-war world."

The Queen continued: "As part of this young Germans may realise that one
legacy of Britain's history is our diversity; we regard it as a strength. We
believe the same is true for the European Union. Britain and Germany have
long advocated enlargement of the Union, as vital for Europe's prosperity
and security. Both our countries also recognise that Europe's enlargement
alone will not guarantee our future prosperity; we need to find new ways to
ensure Europe remains competitive. I look forward to seeing how we are
working together in the fields of commerce, science and technology to
achieve this." ( http://www.royal.gov.uk/output/Page3489.asp
<http://www.royal.gov.uk/output/Page3489.asp> )
----
Wales in Europe
Bleak Outlook - Roger Young, director of the Institute of Directors in
Wales, made the business case for Wales in Europe on Thursday. Quoted in the
Western Mail, Mr Young said: "It would be worth considering what would be
the state of the Welsh economy if Wales was not part of the European Union.
What would be the position as regards to prosperity? Maybe there would be
less regulation, but I suspect we would represent an economic landscape
similar to that of the Falklands or Iceland. Attempting to be a single
player in the global economy would probably spell a bleak outlook."
----
Incoming Commission now sorted?
Commission Update- Jose Manuel Barroso has moved to end the political crisis
in the European Union by finalising a limited revamp of his incoming
Commission. Franco Frattini, Italy's foreign minister, will replace the
controversial Rocco Buttiglione as his country's nominee. More on:
http://www.britainineurope.org.uk/newsandviews/archive/friday-05-November
For more news and views - in our new daily news update section, visit
http://www.britainineurope.org.uk/newsandviews
2.  Be Active
The latest from the campaign and opportunities to get involved

Treaty Cards - Britain in Europe has produced a new, handy wallet-sized
guide to the EU constitutional treaty. The cards highlight, on the one side,
five important ways the treaty will make Europe work better for the people
of the UK and, on the other, tackle five of the most ridiculous myths
anti-Europeans have been peddling. You can download the card at:
http://www.britainineurope.org.uk/theissues/publications/treaty-card-front
http://www.britainineurope.org.uk/theissues/publications/treaty-card-back
3. Be Informed
The winning arguments

Britain in Europe has introduced a new
<http://www.britainineurope.org.uk/newsandviews/articles/index_html>
section on our website which will feature articles and briefings of interest for
pro-Europeans in the UK.

This week sees the addition of a newly published Foreign Office booklet,
which explains (in plain English) how the EU works and how the
constitutional treaty signed by Tony Blair in Rome last Friday would affect
Britain. You can order
<http://www.fco.gov.uk/servlet/Front?pagename=OpenMarket/Xcelerate/ShowPage&
c=Page&cid=1098795773857>  a copy or download it at:
http://www.fco.gov.uk/Files/kfile/EU%20Constitution%20Guide,0.pdf

For those of you keen to tackle head on the various euro-myths favoured by
anti-Europeans, make sure you check out the European Commission's rebuttal
pages at http://www.cec.org.uk/press/myths/index.htm
4. Across the country SCOTLAND, NORTH OF ENGLAND, WALES
Building the grassroots campaign

SCOTLAND: The street stalls in Dundee, Aberdeen, Edinburgh and Glasgow over
the weekend were a great success, with an excellent turn out of volunteers
and hundreds of Saturday shoppers showing their support by signing mock-ups
of the constitutional treaty. There was genuine interest in the issues and a
desire among passers by for more information on the treaty. There are more
events in Scotland, Northern England and Wales over the next couple of weeks:

The EDINBURGH Discussion Group meets on Wednesday 10 November at 7.30 to
9.00 pm in the French Institute with Roderick Skinner examining the "Power
in Europe: The European Commission, European Court of Justice and European
Central Bank"

EDINBURGH There is a European Movement/Europa Institute event on Thursday
11 November from 5.15 pm, followed by a drinks reception at 6.00 to 7.00 pm with
Dr. Oleksandr Tsvietkov, the Consul General of Ukraine speaking on "Ukraine and
The European Union: New Neighbours"

GLASGOW John Swinney MSP and SiE Chair, Kenneth Munro, are the guests
at a Café Europe meeting at 6.30 to 8.30 pm in the Foyer Bar, Citizens' Theatre,
Glasgow on Monday 15 November

PENRITH North West of England - Lord Inglewood will speak on the Common
Agricultural Policy at the next meeting organised by Forward in Europe, the
Cumbria and North Lancashire Branch of the European Movement. The meeting
takes place 7.30pm on Friday 12 November at Newton Rigg College, Penrith,
Cumbria CA11 0AH For further details and to book a place contact Ann or Stephen
Hinchliffe at [log in to unmask] or telephone 01539 728055.

YORKSHIRE & the Humber - Europe Minister Denis MacShane addressed the
political conference of the Community Union in Yorkshire last Friday, and
warned of a threat to EU workers rights. Find out more at:
http://www.britainineurope.org.uk/inyourarea/yorkshire/news/community-confer
ence/

WAKEFIELD European Movement European Dinner on the 18 November at
7.00pm for 7.30pm. The first Yorkshire and The Humber European Movement
Annual Dinner with guest speaker Bill Rammell MP Parliamentary Under
Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs.
Admission by ticket only price £15.00. Contact: Audrey Mann: [log in to unmask]
<mailto:[log in to unmask]>

YORK 'The European Constitutional Treaty: a tidying up exercise or a threat to
1000 years of British sovereignty? The Liberal Democrat response' takes
place on 20 November from 10.30am to 3.00pm in York. Speakers include Diana
Wallis MEP; Nick Clegg; John Stevens; Karen-Riis Jorgensen MEP (Denmark).
The event is open to Liberal Democrat Party members only. For more details
please contact: Angela Kaye - [log in to unmask] .

WALES - It has emerged that informal council of ministers meetings could be
held in Cardiff and other British cities, during the British presidency of
the EU next year. Wales' first minister Rhodri Morgan made the announcement
during a debate on the European Union in the National Assembly this week.
http://www.wales.gov.uk/servlet/ChamberSession

Please pass this e-mail on to friends and colleagues who you think may find
it interesting and useful. They can, of course, sign up to receive e-News
directly and find out more information about the campaign by visiting:

 <http://www.britainineurope.org.uk/> www.britainineurope.org.uk

Or by e-mailing Britain in Europe

Or the European Movement:

To unsubscribe please email:

To join the list, send the message: join italian-studies YOUR NAME
to: [log in to unmask]
To leave the list, send the message: leave italian-studies
to: [log in to unmask]
http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/italian-studies.html