Andreas,

As a calculation of the average content of shale / clay in a faultrock at a given point, SGR is a valid calculation for all bed thicknesses and throw values. However, it does assume that all units that have slipped past the point of interest have contributed material to the faultrock at the same rate. In sandstone shale sequences, sand-sand juxtapositions should only have zero SGR values where the sand body has 0% Vcl and the displacement is not enough to offset the bed from itself.

Which SGR value threshold yields a good seal will be field specific and where possible should be calibrated from production and pressure data. I think the 15-20% + threshold is a rule of thumb, based on empirical data, that’s used for cases in the absence of other data (i.e. exploration).

However, as you probably know, irrespective of the SGR values, other factors may be more dominant with respect to fault seal potential. For example, cements deposited from fluids flowing along the fault, other deformation mechanisms (e.g. cataclasis and grain size reduction in sandstones) and the influence of the in-situ stresses acting on the fault.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Tim

Tim Wynn Ph.D.

Reservoir Geologist & Geomechanics Engineer

TRACS International

Falcon House

Union Grove Lane

Aberdeen