From: Donald E. Stanley
Date: 11/30/04 03:07:51
To: Simon Hatcher
Subject: Re: Epistemology and EBM

If what you take to be the case, ie that EBM does not contain implicit
values, then I would disagree. If the mammographic screening debate is not
value-laden: psychological suffering, unwanted surgical biopsy, follow-up on
a non-diagnostic biopsy, opportunity costs, then just imagine what will
happen when the few RCTs on PSA screening are reported!

I don’t believe there is evidence and over there, in the consulting room,
value. The second distinction you make is more in line with what I think is
the case: whatever evidence we use in the non-professional setting is not
different in kind, but only degree.

The distinction between fact/value goes on, and am currently trying to use
Hilary Putnam’s arguments to show better what I mean.

Dr. Donald E. Stanley
Associates in Pathology
500 West Neck Road
Nobleboro, ME 04555