I think that EBM may be a bit of a false dawn in the realm of medical
malpractice/negligence.  Firstly there are so many gaps in the evidence
available to doctors that they will always have to use their own judgement.

Secondly, although there may be evidence regarding management of a
situation, the diagnosis may rely on subjective interpretation e.g.
Diagnosis of fetal acidosis in labour with CTG.  In my experience of Risk
Management in Obstetrics, knowledge of criteria for interpretation of CTGs
is not synonymous with correct interpretation and appropriate action.

I do think that the sooner we move away from the situation where courts rely
on partisan 'experts' and use professional bodies who create evidence-based
guidelines.

Paul.

--
Mr Paul M Flynn MRCOG
Clinical Director Obstetrics & Gynaecology, Swansea NHS Trust