Dear Piersante,
Though I like the name "diagnostic cohort" study, most other folk working
in diagnostics are unhappy with the time frame it implies. So
cross-sectional analytic study is the most accepted term for the reasonable
design of taking a series of patients with the same presenting complaint
and the applying some agreed gold standard to all cases.
If someone can think of a better name for this, I think it would be leapt
on with glee,
Paul Glasziou

At 31/10/2004, Piersante Sestini wrote:
>What is the name (or a good name) for studies on diagnostic tests, the ones
>in which suspect patients are prospectively recruited and subjected to both
>the test under study and a gold standard?
>
>I used to liken them to cohort studies, but on the "Users' guides to the
>medical literature" (part 1A1)  they are indicated as <Cross sectional
>analytic studies> (whatever that means).
>
>I do realize that although the patients are recruited prospectively, these
>studies are cross sectional in nature. So "Cross sectional study on
>incident suspect cases" could be an option? Except when the gold standard
>actually requires a long follow up to rule out the disease, which
>complicates the matters...
>
>I need a simple and logic-looking name to tell to my students, who are
>mostly epidemiophobic and don't like much complexity or uncertainty in what
>they learn.
>
>thanks,
>
>Piersante Sestini

Paul Glasziou
Department of Primary Health Care &
Director, Centre for Evidence-Based Practice, Oxford
ph: 44-1865-227055  www.cebm.net