It's friday, and I'm out of ideas on this one ;-)

The  problem:

we have some non-linear digital objects - basically they are databases
built on proprietary non-open technology, but they could just as easy be
computer games, or a dynamically generated web sites, and we need to
think about the long term preservation.

While we can back up and conserve the one's and zero's with no problem,
a lot of the intellectual value of the resouce comes from its
non-linearity ie the relation between various objects and the ability to
ake different paths through it, ie we need to do more than just back up
the content, we also need to conserve the execution environment

In the ideal world, you would buy a box with operating system x on it
and database y on it and maintain it for ever - realistically this won't
work as things break and you can't get replacement parts.

Emulation is a possible answer, but what we are seeking to emulate
seems to be an order of magnitude more complex than any of the successes
of emulation so far.

The question:

This looks to be a problem people are putting in the 'too hard' box.
Does anyone have any pointers to recent work on this topic?

-Doug

--
Doug Moncur
Digital Asset Management System Project Manager

ph: +61 2 6246 1102  fx: +61 2 6246 4285
web: www.aiatsis.gov.au