Hi Folks

I've been thinking of the issue of generalisability that Steve got going and John, Stephen and Violina have contributed to.  I really like the distinction between convergent and divergent ideas.  Here's the problem though: we can accept divergence but how do our differing experiences and reporting of those experiences help us with theory building?

This link between method (how we do aesthetic research?) and theory building (what do our findings mean?) is what I'm currently struggling with.  I think aesthetic research enables us to make intuitive leaps but when it comes to describing these logically so the wider academic community 'buys in' to our ideas, then we have a problem.  Do we just, then, accept divergence and use that as a defense or is there an approach that acknowledges the uniqueness of aesthetics and yet is acceptable to the non-aesthete?

My colleague in an office down the corridor from mine says:  "Your emperor has no clothes!"  I'm struggling for a response. . .

Ralph