On Mon, 4 Oct 2004 [log in to unmask] wrote:
> whatever the type of resources it should be possible to find them and add
> them to a meaningful list if they are available, possibly without manual
> intervention. So BaBar, just an example, can find their own resources
> without a "word by mouth" whether they are lcg dedicated or they belong
> to some other entity which allow them to be used.

EDG was designed with the assumption that there would be one information
system with a full view of everything. We were also trying to get a
Service table with every service listed, so you could find things like
RBs, myproxies and VO servers which you currently have to "just know
about" because there is no list anywhere.

  I think what we have now, with lots of BDIIs with differing views, and
with no way to find them or know what's in them (or which RBs use them),
is not at all satisfactory. Part of the problem is that the BDII doesn't
scale very well, as you have to store all the information together. Also
the system we have has (like many things in LCG deployment)  grown up in
an ad hoc way in response to short-term problems without much thought
being given to any longer-term problems it may cause.

  One solution might be R-GMA, the registry doesn't have to store the
information, only pointers to it, so the scaling problem should be a lot
easier to deal with. Another idea could be to have just a central Service
BDII with all services listed, including other BDIIs containing the rest
of the information (I think Laurence Field may have something like that in
mind). However, it would need quite a significant architectural change to
make that work - and of course LCG is determined not to do any
architecture because that's supposed to come from JRA1 (which is
currently having a hard time even deploying on two sites, so I don't think
they're thinking too much about scalability ...)

Stephen