Sara--

I think this is what you're looking for--I'm surprised Thayer didn't
provide a reference herself:

Newhauser, Richard G.  "From Treatise to Sermon: Johannes Herolt on the
_novem peccata aliena_."  In _De ore domini: Preacher and Word in the
Middle Ages_.  Edited by T. L. Amos et al., 185–209. Studies in
Medieval Culture, 27.  Kalamazoo, MI: Medieval Institute Press, 1989.

I don't remember how Newhauser translates it, but I've heard "nine
accessory sins," which sounds to me like a more appropriate
translation.  I assume it refers to nine other sins besides the seven.

I have not noticed the nine sins listed anywhere in my recent studies
of "pastoralia" of the 12th and 13th centuries, though as you know the
numerical lists get longer and longer through the late middle ages.

--Jonathan Hall

On 8 Oct 2004, at 8:13 PM, Sara McDougall wrote:

> medieval-religion: Scholarly discussions of medieval religion and
> culture
>
> Dear List,
>
> Does anyone happen to know what the nine alien sins are or where I
> could
> read about them?
>
> They apparently show up in a late medieval sermon collection along with
> other lists like the Ten Commandments, the seven deadly sins, the seven
> sacraments, the six works of mercy...
> So says Anne Thayer in _Penitence, Preaching and the Coming of the
> Reformation_ Ashgate 2002, p.23. The work she is discussing is Johannes
> Herolt's _Sermones discipuli de tempore et de sanctis_.
>
> thanks in advance,
> Sara McDougall

> to: [log in to unmask]
> to: [log in to unmask]