We have four examples in Wales (that I know of) of this intriguing
iconographic device. Two (badly photographed by me- but they are
difficult to get at) in Llandaff Cathedral, under the feet of effigies
of the Mathew family -
http://timezone.newport.ac.uk/sleeping-bedesmen.html
And one in Abergavenny -
http://www.gtj.org.uk/item.php?lang=en&id=7836&t=1
The fourth is not on a tomb but on a roof corbel in Llanynys in
Denbighshire.

I am writing up a British Archaeological Association conference paper in
which I referred to these bedesmen as a side issue. During the
discussion afterwards someone mentioned that he had a list of all other
examples in England. I thought I remembered who it was, but I remembered
wrong! Does anyone know who it might have been - and does anyone out
there have any thoughts on possible European parallels?

Peter Lord has suggested that the Welsh examples may be an individual
craftsman's trademark. This seems to me unlikely, as they are so varied
stylistically, but I think a workshop trademark might be more likely. I
would like to look at some other examples to see how wide the variation
is.

Maddy

Dr Madeleine Gray, in the foothills of God's golden county of Gwent
School of Humanities and Science, University of Wales, Newport
Caerleon Campus, PO Box 179, Newport NP18 3YG. Tel: +44 (0)1633.432675
'A good thesis is like a pig. You don't throw anything away, and even
after decades you can still re-use it.' (Umberto Eco)
History at University of Wales, Newport: http://timezone.newport.ac.uk
Gwent County History Association website:
http://gwent-county-history-association.newport.ac.uk
Cistercian Way: http://cistercian-way.newport.ac.uk

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]