That ideas on this topic have changed considerably since the Middle Ages are
apparent from a whole swack of 19th-century societies dedicated to the revival of
the "apparently drowned".  A lot of medieval miracles focus on the resuscitation of
people who were considered dead then but would probably not be considered dead
today.  Rather than having nuanced levels of deadness, it seems to me that the
Middle Ages was far less discerning in its evaluation of the condition than we are
today.
cheers,
Jim Bugslag

to: [log in to unmask]