Phyllis wrote:

> Today (20. October) is the feast day of:

> Acca (d. 740)  Acca was a Northumbrian who was Wilfrid's companion
> before becoming abbot of St. Andrew's monastery in Hexham.  A.
> succeeded Wilfrid as bishop of Hexham in 709.  A. was a biblical
> exegete and important patron of scholars.  He had to leave his see in
> 732 (we don't know why) and lived in exile until his death in
> Galloway.

In Acca's honor, herewith some visuals, etc. of Hexham's present parish
church of St. Andrew (also called "Hexham Abbey [church]"), built in the
twelfth and thirteenth centuries by Augustinian Canons over the remains
of Wilfrid's and Acca's Anglo-Saxon stone church (whose crypt and other
underworkings survive beneath the present structure).  The nave is
Edwardian [1907-08], replacing one destroyed by a Scots raiding party in
1296, and there have been some other bits added/restored.  But the
remainder is still pretty much the same building as that in which what
are said to have been Acca's remains were ceremoniously reinterred by
the canons next to the high altar.

Photographs and discussion (overview):
http://www.go-britain.com/html/hexham_abbey.htm
http://www.ville-noyon.fr/Noyon_Hexam/eabbaye.html

Plan (from the church's website):
http://www.hexhamabbey.co.uk/features/
Click on links at left for discussions of Acca, of the crypt, of the
frith stool, of the night stairs, of the rood screen, and of the
church's various carved stones from the Anglo-Saxon period.

Photos of the frith stool are here:
http://www.jaydax.co.uk/showcase/hexham/hexham2.html
and here (a little less than halfway down the page):
http://www.romanheritageway.fsnet.co.uk/history2.html

Some gargoyles:
http://www.arcaid.captureweb.co.uk/ImageDetail.asp?Barcode=9285-30-1

Some historical context: