Hi, Erik:
        There is another St Patern who has at times been confused with St
Patern of Avranches - namely,the 5C St Patern (also Pern, Pedern) of
Vannes, after whom Llanbadarn monastery was named and who, according to
an 11C Life, was ordained at Jerusalem by the Patriarch, together with
Saints David and Teilo. He was invoked for favourable weather for
cultivation and especially against drought. Like his namesake of
Avranches, St Patern of Vannes was commemorated in a number of
place-names in France, mainly (exclusively?) in Brittany, where he was
recognized as one of 'the seven saints of Brittany.'  He is the
subject of #43 in the Cornish Saints monograph series authored by Gilbert
Doble. (There were churches dedicated to him in Cornwall, too.)

                        Cheers,
                        Martin

On Wed, 20 Oct 2004, Erik Drigsdahl wrote:

> Yes, Phyllis, it certainly is the guy i was looking for!
..[SNIP]...
> >>Erik:
> >The Benedictine Book of Saints has the following:
> >
> >Paternus (Pair) of Avranches            Sep 23
> >"d. ?574 (or 563).  From Poitiers, France, he became a monk with St.
> >Scubilio at Saint-Join-de-Marnes south of Saumur, and later a hermit
> >near Coutances.  Eventually he became bishop of Avranches in Normandy
> >and died at the village now named St Pair after him."
> >
> >Is this the guy you're looking for?
> >Phyllis

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]