-----Original Message-----
From: lis-pub-libs: UK Public Libraries
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Day Robert
Sent: 07 October 2004 14:23
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Photo Identity

"Does having some identification of address actually stop theft, what
evidence for this? "

I am not sure it stops theft and evidence either way would be impossible
to gather but I do think there is a deterrent effect on voluntary
non-return of items borrowed (which, I admit, is also a form of theft).
It also helps, albeit in easily circumvented, ways to prevent multiple
memberships being set up by a single individual for malicious ends.

I feel in this whole debate it's important to make the distinction
between use of the library (allowing people into the building and use of
any of the core services on site without any identification or
requirement for
membership) and membership of the library (the ability to borrow
materials from the library). I imagine no library service in the UK
offer the latter without some form of identification being produced
(other than possibly an 'introductory/restricted' membership with
limited borrowing privileges) whereas I would expect all authorities to
offer the former. I am not sure banks and mortgage providers are
analogous but a similar setup may be found in Blockbuster or Choices in
terms of requiring ID to take advantage of services being offered. As
DVDs, Video Games and the like (desirable, valuable and easy to sell on)
become available in increasing numbers of libraries how would these
remain in circulation without any check at all on those borrowing them?

It is unfortunate that in this, as in many other services, it is the
practice of the minority (system abuser) that drives the policy rather
than the needs of the majority (system user) but dealing with limited
resources as all public services do, is there any other way?

Robert Day
Cambridgeshire Libraries