 ...I feel down recently...

...despite the UK's channel 4 news rather feeble attempt at a discussion
around the politics of disability after Christopher Reeve's death (which is
noramlly excellent), if you watched BBC news at 10 last night reflecting on
the death of Christopher Reeve, nobody would even know that there are other
alternative ideas out there concerning disability apart from the ethical
medical debates concerning stem cell research. Are we not failing in getting
the social message across to the media?

Also, the other week we had coverage of the disability discrimination act,
and what did we see on the news and on the BBC TV programme Watchdog -
you've guessed it, lots of people in wheelchairs trying to get into
buildings. Coupled with the recent paraolympics, the narrowed view of who is
disabled and who is not in society and how to "beat it" seems  to remain
unchallenged and narrowly focused. Are we not also having great difficulty
in showing the public the breadth of disability and the real politics of
disability? I would say very, very much.

Now, we even have the rather negatively named film "Inside I'm dancing"
which surprise, surprise focuses on two young people in wheelchairs, while
the drame about love on BBC 1, has a disabled character spouting some of the
cliches of joe publics perception of disability and how to get on in life
and to cap it all, he also has cerebral palsy. Not much has changed in the
film world, challenging the views of Joe Public.

Anyone got any thoughts on a little better PR for all those who feel that
disability is not exclusive to certain types of impairment, and how the
media - after many many years of disability scholarship - can incorporate a
social perspective into some of the more complicated debates that the scope
of the disability discrimination act simply cannot represent...??

Cheer me up please...

Glenn

Dr Glenn Smith,
Research Fellow,