Thanks for this post! I hadn't heard about any of this in the US, but am
posting links to news articles on class websites and will discuss the
issues with my History of Graphic Design students.
regards
Liz Throop

Liz Throop
404-651-0499
Assistant Professor, Graphic Design
Georgia State University
>>> [log in to unmask] 10/06/04 2:19 PM >>>
I've sent the following letter to The Guardian in response to the
extraordinary attacks on the
Design Museum in the last week:

"There seems to be an unspoken gender politics behind the furore about
the Constance Spry
exhibition at the Design Museum. Perhaps what Terence Conran, James
Dyson & Stephen Bailey
perceive is a feminisation (or should that be emasculation?) of the
Design Museum in its recent
exhibitions on fashion and the domestic sphere. Their notions of 'good'
design are predicated on
out-dated paternalistic, modernist, middle-class notions of taste,
favouring industrial design.

Whilst I don't like the way in which the Spry exhibition has been
realised - it is woefully lacking in
context and consequently misrepresents Spry - I want to defend the
Design Museum's decision to
mount it. Many of us who research and teach design history are
interested in the question 'what is
design'?  Together with a growing number of young designers, we have
been exploring the
boundaries between professional and amateur design, consumption
practices and popular taste.
And, yes, this even includes flowers... and the Habitat chicken brick.

Furthermore, in the personal attacks on Alice Rawsthorn, I am reminded
of the vilification of
Elizabeth Esteve-Coll at the V&A, another female museum director."

These are important issues that we need to debate within the discipline.
And it would be good to
use the JISCmail list for discussion as well as announcements!

Deborah

Dr Deborah Sugg Ryan
Loughborough University School of Art & Design
Epinal Way
Loughbrough
Leics LE11 3TU
+44 (0)1509 557417