Hugh wrote that:
One response would be : it is the (objectivist and absolutist) model that
invokes the idea that we can know, without dependence upon any ( partial or
constitutive)  mental model,  what actually happened. It is the model that
denies undecidability and thereby accommodates monism, fanaticism and
tyranny in all its myriad forms.

Two issues - is there a real 'reality'? and what are the political implications of thinking there is/is not?
the first is obviously a big philosophical issue, but I'll acknowledge my own materialist bias and suggest that even if we cannot fully comprehend reality through the veil of our senses, we can strive to approach 'better' understandings of reality.

On the political issue, I agree that tyranny can lie in trying to impose our own 'truth' on others, but I'm strongly of the opinion that tyranny also lies in casting off the anchor of searching for 'truth'. Justice, compassion, and mobilizing collective action for change can be based upon our search for understanding the 'reality' of how others live and how the economic and political system 'works'- how it produces the poor, the oppressed, the privileged, their identities as well as the social conception of these categories (e.g. the privileged as deserving or exploiters). I see our role as critical scholars precisely in this area.

In recent days, there has been a flap in the US election campaign about a senior Bush aide deriding opponents for living in "the reality based community". Like Goebbels, it seems that some of Bush's minions prefer that we live in the myths of presidential infallibility and decisiveness, the meritocracy and egalitarianism of the US economy, the importance of conquering Iraq, the fairness of the election system etc.

This quote has been making the rounds here:

The aide [to Bush] said that guys like me were ''in what we call the reality-based community,'' which he defined as people who ''believe that solutions emerge from your judicious study of discernible reality.'' I nodded and murmured something about enlightenment principles and empiricism. He cut me off. ''That's not the way the world really works anymore,'' he continued. ''We're an empire now, and when we act, we create our own reality. And while you're studying that reality -- judiciously, as you will -- we'll act again, creating other new realities, which you can study too, and that's how things will sort out. We're history's actors . . . and you, all of you, will be left to just study what we do.''

Our search for 'truth' is  perhaps the most important  way we can struggle against the looking shadows of tyranny....

David

--
David Levy
Professor, Department of Management