More of what Jiscmail thinks is spam from John.
P.

----original message---

Subject: Re: IPR Guide
From: "John Casey" <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Wed, 06 Oct 2004 10:20:17 +0100
To: <[log in to unmask]>, <[log in to unmask]>

Hi Scott
Thanks for the info - I will try and work this into the next version of
the guide - one wee point this is a guide aimed at complete novices who
will only (if ever) have a passing interest in DRELs etc.

But what is interesting for my target readers is that this is more
evidence of the kind of IPR culture that is emerging in the 1st world
(advanced economies? - although advanced never seems the right word to
me!) where we have a kind of intellectual asset stripping going on by
the filing of speculative patents and buying up companies for their
possible retrospective patent portfolios etc.

In this context the mainstream educational community needs to engage
more with the issue of IPR to defend it's 'space' - along the way I
think we will have much to learn from the other sectors like the media
and the open source movement.

If you have some more info on this I would be very grateful - I am due
to another version of the guide to explain the latest JORUM licences so
that would be an opportunity to work it in.

Cheers
John

Hi Phil,

Not sure if this has been mentioned on the list yet, but its worth
bearing
in mind that ALL digital rights expression languages/markup/metadata
are
potentially patent-encumbered due to a number of US software patents
awarded
to ContentGuard (owned by MS and AOL-TW).

ODRL, PRL, and the like are all affected (not just XrML), and until
this
issue is resolved any use of any DREL will potentially incur the threat
of
lawsuits over technology licensing.

Unfortunately the JISC IPR guide doesn't mention this, which is a bit
of an
omission!

If you require any further information, both Wilbert and I have been
tracking this problem.

- S