1. As stated, the TRADITION quoted in a gadzillion books is for the adults
10% and kids 15%. Will be very difficult to deviate from this "standard" of
care, as arbitrary as it is, because "everybody's doing it"
2. Use Crystalloids, because just about everyone else does and, as you have
scanned through the evidence, you know no-one will be able to show you have
done less than best, regardless of whether Albumin could ALSO be OK. So I
agree with the rest to advise crystalloid and have NEVER ONCE used Albumin.
3. There are many calculations one could make but the 10% & 15% come from
the era predating evidence. i.e. There has not been (to my knowledge) a
study done documenting outcome vs. percentage point at which IV hydration is
necessary. It's somewhere between 0 & 100% and kids were known in those days
to be more "vulnerable" - hence the guideline. If you worked out outcomes
with good stats I'm sure you'll come up with something like people above 10
or 15% do better IV, but you may well have the same result using a 20%
cut-off for adults or 5% for children. It is likely that one could work out
a formulat based upon weight, surface area, %burn and time elapesed, which
gives a better, universal guideline, but it will be a heck of a study to
then conduct to prove this...
4. When you're done with this, there are other guidlelines we can tackle:
- A HI patient who requires neurological observation ('cause radiologists
have found some excuse not to scan him) should be observed for 6 hours OR 10
hours OR 12 hours or until the sun has set once and risen again (known as
"overnight obs" regardless of how long this is). All of these I have found
in various local "SHO books"
- A patient in a medical ward will need to be reviewed every time the
consultant/registrar/SHO happens to arrive at the hospital, i.e. weekdays
am, which means the very same patient with the very same problem admitted at
5am on a weekday is seen at, say 9am, while if admitted at 6pm on a Friday,
it's Monday am...
- A department bearing the sign "Accident & Emergency" should at all times
and under any circumstances, regardless of patient load, staffing levels and
case mix be able to see and appropriately dispose of all its patients within
4 hours.
... Until we run out of thumbs to suck numbers out of (or, for the last one,
don't get me started)