John,

The bit about nothing for on-call is unlikely to be true, but I'm prepared
to be corrected.  You should be getting an on-call supplement with the new
contract which covers the inconvenience of the on-call and is based on the
frequency of the on-call rota and whether you usually return to the hospital
or give telephone advice.  As I am on a 1:3 and usually return to the
hospital it is worth 8% of my basic salary to me.

After that it is up to you and the Trust to come up with a figure in PAs
that represents the actual time you spend working during the on-call period,
either unpredictably (most of A&E) or predictably (weekend ward rounds?).
Whether taking phone calls at all counts as work is open to debate as it
could be argued that has been covered in the supplement (it does however
class as work for EWTD but that, again, is another story!).  We have
negotiated a payment of one PA a week for this, which in our current
cuircumstances seems adequate.

I think some confusion arises from the old contract when a consultant on a
1:3 could argue for 2 sessions to cover 'on-call' and this was often to
cover the inconvenience and the actual work.  Many people were working in
excess of this and felt rightly agrieved, the new contract has given them
the opportunity to get recognition for this work.  Others may have taken the
2 sessions and done very little on-call 'work' for it and now they find
themselves faced with ~2PAs in their contract that they need to justify.
This isn't hard, as they will have been doing more than enough work in the
day, but they might feel that their on-call payment has been removed, it
hasn't.

I suppose the bottom line is, if you fall in to the first group use the new
contract to get paid for what you do; if you fall in to the second group,
use the new contract to establish that that is the limited cover you are
prepared to provide and stick to it.  Either way you win.

Simon McCormick

Rotherham Hospital

P.S.  I'm sure if I've got this wrong Adrian or Andrew will correct me (and
they might agree!!)