----Original Message Follows----
From: Craig Ellis <[log in to unmask]>

Young woman, 6-7 weeks pregnant, no scan. presents with crampy lower abdo
pain and frequency. no dysuria, no bleeding. no fever. Urine +ve for
protein, blood, leuks and nitrates.

Would anyone scan her to confirm an IUP or would you be happy to treat the
UTI and send her home to follow-up with GP

--> If confirmed HCG +ve, I'd get a radiologist/technician to scan... Sorry
to all current hobbyists, but having learned how to scan for myself, I now
find it is yet another task I prefer to leave for others (also gave up doing
my own malaria films a few years back).

This case is not a "textbook" UTI for a couple of reasons anyway, so you
gotta scan. Never mind how unreliable urine dipstix are in finding pathology
that matters...