Von: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">Brian D.Moeran
An: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]
Gesendet: Freitag, 29. Oktober 2004 15:58
Betreff: Re: Definitions

Jürgen Bergmann suggests that "Rules are the basics of aesthetics." I beg to disagree. Maybe rules are the basics for those who wish to impose aesthetic judgements on others (and imply, if not universalism, then at least standardization). But what they then deem to be aesthetic is itself subject to so much social, cultural and historical arbitrariness, negotiation and change that it would appear impossible to develop hard-and-fast rules that would be valid for anyone outside a particular, limited aesthetic/art world.

Which statement, in itself, is the first rule.

Brian

Jürgen Bergmann wrote:

Luhmann would say this discussion about "Aesthetic research" is a reentry. Therefor I suggest an aesthetic discussion about "Aesthetic research". So it would be possible for the interessted participants to fix up some criterias of what is aesthetic and what is not. In other words, to develop RULES. Rules are the basics of aesthetics.
Jürgen
t r a n s i c o
Hegelstr. 5
95447 Bayreuth