Tim,

> > Is this wcsframe command correct or did you mean:
> >
> >  wcsframe ndf=13_raw frame=pixel
> >

> He actually meant neither of these. FRAME=pixel works since it doesn't
> require (presumably) that a WCS frame is created from the fits headers.

Not so. A FrameSet is created from the FITS headers even if you only want
pixel coords.

> If I use FRAME=SKY I get a core dump in cmpframe.c.

Just tried that - no joy, wcsframe still completes succesfully for me.
Did you do anything non-standard when building kappa/ast/kaplibs ?
Like for instance, did you have any CFLAGS or FFLAGS set?

> Note that I also get a core dump from ndftrace, since that is also trying
> to read the FITS headers to create a WCS extension.

ndftrace works OK for me too.

> 0  0x42bff2c4 in Resolve (this_frame=0x81d6990, point1=0x81d7178,
> point2=0xbfff94c8,
>     point3=0x42c415b3, point4=0x42d4e718, d1=0x3, d2=0xbfff9798) at
> cmpframe.c:4820
> 4820       *d1 = AST__BAD;
>
> Here d1=0x3 is the culprit.

Have you re-built kaplibs and ndf? There have been changes to the AST
include files which *may* possible be the cause...

> with
>
>   % ndftrace u20040922_00013_raw
>
> > Not sure what to suggest next. You are *really* sure you have everything
> > updated in CVS?
> >

> I've just rebuilt AST and still get the problem

Maybe we should try to ascertain whether its a purely AST problem, or a
problem caused by the integration of AST and KAPPA. I've attached one of
my AST test progs which does not use any kappa stuff. Maybe you could
build it and run it to see if it gives you the same problem. I build it
like:

% g77 -fno-second-underscore -g -o fplottest fplottest.f -L$STAR/lib \
     `chr_link` `ast_link -pgplot -ems` `pgplot_link` `err_link`

To run it, you need first to create a text file containing the fits
headers:

% fitslist u20040922_00013_raw > headers

(then edit headers to remove the non-FITS commentary lines added by
fitslist). Then do:

% fplottest headers

and it should read a FrameSet from the headers and draw an annotated coord
grid (it may ask you for the pixel bounds if your headers do not include
NAXIS1/NAXIS2 values).

David