From: Subscribers of iaspm list [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of carol vernallis
Sent: Monday, September 20, 2004 1:06 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: New book - "Experiencing Music Video: Aesthetics and Cultural Context"

        Dear IASPM members,

        I'd like to mention the availability of my book "Experiencing Music Video: Aesthetics and Cultural Context" (Columbia University Press).  It can be purchased through Amazon and Columbia's website.  I have included the jacket text because I think it gives some sense of the book and I'm proud of the blurbs.  Hope to see many of you at the Virginia conference!

        Best wishes,

        Carol

        Experiencing Music Video: Aesthetics and Cultural Context

        Music videos have ranged from simple tableaux of a band playing its instruments to multimillion dollar, high-concept extravaganzas. Born of a sudden expansion in new broadcast channels, music videos continue to exert an enormous influence on popular music. They help to create an artist's identity, to affect a song's mood, to determine chart success: the music video has changed our idea of the popular song.

        Here at last is a study that treats music video as a distinct multimedia artistic genre, different from film, television, and indeed from the songs they illuminate ¯ and sell. Carol Vernallis describes how verbal, musical and visual codes combine in music video to create defining representations of race, class, gender, sexuality and performance.  The book explores the complex interactions of narrative, settings, props, costumes, lyrics and much more.  Three chapters contain close analyses of important videos:  Madonna's "Cherish," Prince's "Gett Off," and Peter Gabriel's "Mercy St."

        Carol Vernallis is an associate professor in the Communication Studies Department at Wayne State University.

        "This book is the first to take music video seriously as a multimedia genre in its own right. Carol Vernallis not only has an intimate knowledge of the repertory, but also brings together perspectives that have in the past been pursued in isolation: the musical, cinematic, technical and cultural. With its combination of theoretical topics and case studies, this book is the definitive one-stop solution for anybody who wants not just to experience, but to really understand, music videos."  Nicholas Cook, author of Analysing Musical Multimedia

        "A thorough, stimulating account of the art of music video. Vernallis provides imaginative analyses that are sensitive to the expressive dimension of image/sound combinations. She shows how the power of music videos depends largely on the elusive associations conjured up by fleeting images and swift turns of sound."  David Bordwell, author of The Classical Hollywood Cinema

        "Experiencing Music Video is the first book I'd ever read that really does take music video seriously.  Carol Vernallis is an obsessive, passionate and continuously surprising video viewer, and succeeds in creating a quite new analytic field."  Simon Frith, author of Performing Rights: on the Value of Popular Music

        "Carol Vernallis has done what no one else has to date... she has seen beyond the surface of the music video and has found the true and unique language of the art form."  Francis Lawrence, Film/Music Video Director