Years ago, again on med-art I think, there was a person identified as St Matthew (I think) WITH a cruciform halo. Almost all agreed this was inappropriate but chalked it up to painter error, private taste, etc. I'll do some digging and see if I can find the image but I may have found the image in a book rather than on line, if indeed I was the one who found the image.
MG

-- "Cormack, Margaret Jean" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

Indeed, how DOES one tell the difference - if there is a difference? Perhaps we should be looking into
theological commentary as well as looking at pictures. A few years back, teaching a course on millenialism,
I had one of those great teaching moments when asked about the rider in Revelation. Since I hadnīt
checked this passage in particular, I was taken aback when asked by a student if the figure was to be identified with
Christ or not. I gave the safe fall-back answer (the course was American religion and we were dealing with
the 19th century) that it "depends on who you ask." The students had all shown up with Bibles (the idea being
to compare translations, not commentaries) and one of them raised a hand and said "according to the footnote
in my Bible this figure IS to be identified with Christ." The student in the next seat at once responded "according to MY
Bible this figure is ABSOLUTELY NOT to be identified with Christ"

On a separate note, crosses within halos - I remember putting out a request about this a few years back,
which is perhaps worth repeating: does anyone have examples of figures OTHER THAN Christ with crosses
in the halo? I have an Icelandic example (13th c. as I recall) and still canīt figure out whether the artist
(who, as an artist, is quite good) is making a theological point or is just iconographically challenged.

Meg

As to the figure on horseback (see John's message below), I noticed a lack of a cruciform halo. This may be because the painting is faded/damaged, the picture does not show such detail, or there is in fact no cross. At risk of sounding argumentative (when I simply have an inquiring mind), why does anyone assume this is Christ when another figure on a white horse was identified by someone on this list as the rider of the pale horse of the Apocalypse? How does one tell the difference?
MG

As will now be apparent, there's a lot of apocalyptic imagery in the Anagni frescoes ("saints of the day, 25. September").  In view of the recent discussion of Christ the warrior, it might not hurt to single out this depiction of Christ on horseback taking aim with a bow and arrow:
http://www.santamelania.it/arte_fede/anagni/thumbs/04_03_02.jpg

Best again, John Dillon

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]