Dear Listmembers,

This is a long shot I know but anything is possible on this list!

Some years ago, when working on a thesis on the Franciscans in medieval
Ireland, I came across a reference to the alleged curative properties of the
blood of a hare killed in Holy Week. The context was a sermon by a
Franciscan condemning such superstition. A colleague is now preparing an
edition of the 14th century chronicle of Friar John Clyn of Kilkenny and
contacted me about a reference in the text to 'the time when hares are
hunted'. I immediately thought of the earlier hare reference but find that I
have misplaced it.

Does any of this ring a bell with anyone? Has anyone encountered similar
beliefs about the medicinal qualities of animals' blood? Why would the time
when hares are hunted be significant?

Many thanks

Colmán Ó Clabaigh OSB
Librarian