MessageDear list-members!

Please be advised of a new publication and kindly pass this information on to your students. Thank you very much in advance.
With best wishes,

Elena Lemeneva, MA

PhD candidate
Medieval Studies Dept., Central European University

Email:

Hortulus Seeks Papers for Premiere Issue

Hortulus, a new online journal of medieval studies published by graduate students, invites submissions for its premiere issue, to be published in January 2005.

We seek the very best of graduate-student writing on all aspects of medieval studies and aim to bring graduate medievalists into conversation with one another and the field as a whole.  The journal will also feature an extensive offering of resources like moderated message boards, calls for papers, book reviews, and lighter fare like interviews and reviews of medieval-themed films.

See http://www.hortulus.net for submission guidelines and further details.  All students currently pursuing graduate work in medieval studies or allied disciplines are eligible to submit papers for publication, as are alumni/ae of master's and doctoral programs within one year of their graduation.  Those who hold doctoral degrees are eligible only if not currently employed as professors.

Papers are due no later than October 14, 2004.  Authors should expect to receive feedback within eight weeks.

We welcome all questions and enquiries at [log in to unmask]

Hortulus Announces Kalamazoo Session: "The Comparative Middle Ages"

Hortulus seeks abstracts for 20-minute papers to be delivered at the 40th International Congress on Medieval Studies at Western Michigan University from May 5-8, 2005.

Hortulus aims to create a venue for scholarly conversation and interdisciplinary exchange among graduate students of medieval studies. In order to bring graduate student medievalists into conversation with one another and promote conviviality, we will sponsor a session on "The Comparative Middle Ages" for the 40th International Congress on Medieval Studies.

In keeping with recent scholarly discussions regarding comparative, interdisciplinary, or multidisciplinary approaches to scholarship, graduate education, and pedagogy, we seek papers dealing with the Middle Ages from a comparative stance and especially invite papers that present new approaches or perspectives to medieval studie! s that interact with and elaborate on the multivalent cultural production of the Middle Ages.

Papers in this session might examine issues of (re-)territorialization of disciplinary boundaries, communication of theories and methodologies, (developing) pedagogy in Medieval Studies, or simply the elucidation of material from one field through evidence in other fields.

Please address inquiries and abstracts by September 15 to:

Editor, [log in to unmask]

or to

Jay Paul Gates
517 S. Randall Ave.