Talk about over-reaction! As a grad student, I once suggested that perhaps
"eschatology" needed a rest. I was wrong. It just needed closer definition for
specific uses.

"Vulgate" as the abstract concept of the Latin Bible Jerome produced for his
sponsor(s)  makes sense, as does "Septuagint" for the supposed efforts of Ptolemy's
supposed group of 72 translators of the Hebrew Pentateuch. That neither ideal
entity exists, or perhaps ever existed beyond the idealized original, does not
render the terms meaningless. But as VK preaches (partly blaming me), let's be
clear what we mean by the terms.

While there never was an original and homogeneous "the Septuagint Bible" in the
broad sense of an ancient Greek biblical translation/edition (of course by the 4th
century CE, such an anthology had been compiled and came to be dubbed "the
Septuagint," in its various forms), and there never was an "Old Latin (Itala, Vetus
Latina) Bible" in the same sense (although Latin translations of various biblical
books were produced by various people in various times and places prior to Jerome,
and these materials may also have been collected into a Latin biblical anthology by
the 4th century -- what was Jerome commissioned to replace/correct?), there
apparently was a selfconsciously homogeneous edition/translation of it all produced
by Jerome around the start of the 5th century, "the Vulgate."

I know, I know. What about the Psalter, for which Jerome did at least two editions.
Are they both "Vulgate"? My edition of the Latin Bible (Old Vulgate) has the Iuxta
Hebraica Psalter as an appendix, so in that sense, yes (or maybe yes minus). But
that's what footnotes and careful definitions (and attention to context) are for,
nicht wahr?

RAK

> Okay. I vote for scrapping both "Vulgate" and "Septuagint" as meaningless words
> in a scholarly world.
>
> --V. K.
>
> Quoting John Briggs <[log in to unmask]>:
>
> > > I think "Vulgate" very probably is meaningless.  Restricting it to
> "Jerome's
> > translation" is probably hopeless, especially as that probably wasn't
> > exactly what anyone in the Middle Ages actually had in front of them.  The
> > "Stuttgart Vulgate" seeks to reproduce precisely what Jerome wrote, but as
> > changes set in almost immediately, the usefulness of that edition isn't
> > readily obvious.  I would much prefer to have a 'typical Medieval Vulgate' -
> > whatever that might be!  (Incidentally, nearly all copies of "The Vulgate"
> > loose on the internet are defective copies of the Stuttgart Vulgate.)  Even
> > the "Clementine Vulgate" underwent changes - particularly in the 20th
> > century!  The existence of a "Nova Vulgata" suggests that the unqualified
> > use of the word "Vulgate" is unwise.  (There isn't a single Old Latin
> > version either, and seeing that Jerome was revising one or more of them, and
> > didn't finish the task because he got interested in Hebrew ... )
> >
> > John Briggs

> to: [log in to unmask]
> to: [log in to unmask]

to: [log in to unmask]