You will find a succinct summary of the long discussion among medieval
theologians over whether the consent of the spouses alone or that plus
consummation constituted the marriage in articles by Francis Martin,
Glenn Olsen, and Theresa Olsen Pierre in Glenn W. Olsen, ed., _Christian
Marriage: A Historical Study_, sponsored by the Wethersfield Institute
(New York: Crossroad Publishing / Herder and Herder, 2001) at pp. 20
(non-consumation was grounds for divorce in ancient Hebrew practice),
114ff (Mary and Joseph's marriage raised the issue for patristic
writers; 123ff (Augustine opted for consent alone, based in large part
on Mary and Joseph), 161 (Peter Damian also followed consent alone);
217-28 (for Anselm of Laon marriage was incomplete until consummation;
Hugh of St. Victor tried to have it both ways; Peter Lombard gave big
impulse to consent alone; Gratian held out for consummation but the
later canonists tended to follow Lombard; Alexander III: consent alone
but consummation as a proof of consent).

Others know this field much better than I and may have corrections to
make, but I thought a survey of this sort might be useful.

Dennis Martin

>>> [log in to unmask] 09/28/04 4:03 AM >>>
medieval-religion: Scholarly discussions of medieval religion and
culture

Since we are medievalists, I would refer also to:
Petrus Lombardus, Sententiae IV 28, 3 n. 2: Dicamus igitur quod
consensus cohabitationis vel carnalis copulae non facit coniugium, sed
consensus coniugalis societatis, verbis secundum praesens tempus
expressus, ut cum vir dicit: Ego accipio te in meam, non dominam, non
ancillam, sed coniugem.
See also Decretum Gratiani (Concordia discordantium canonum)pars : 2,
causa : 27, quaest. : 2, canon : 2, dictum post, pag. : 1063, linea :
18

b.k.

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]