----- Original Message -----
From: "Phyllis Jestice" <[log in to unmask]>

> Exsuperius (d. c. 412)  Exsuperius became bishop of Toulouse in c.
> 405.  He won a reputation for charity.  Today he is mostly known
> because he wrote a question about accepted scriptures to Pope
> Innocent I, and Innocent's reply was a list of the authentic books of
> the Bible, a list still accepted today.  (I confess that I wonder if
> the books rejected by most Protestant churches, like Macabbees,
> Ecclesiasticus, etc. are on it.)

*********************
Per the Catholic Encyclopedia:

Two documents of capital importance in the history of the canon constitute
the first formal utterance of papal authority on the subject. The first is
the so-called "Decretal of Gelasius", de recipiendis et non recipiendis
libris, the essential part of which is now generally attributed to a synod
convoked by Pope Damasus in the year 382. The other is the Canon of Innocent
I, sent in 405 to a Gallican bishop in answer to an inquiry. Both contain
all the deuterocanonicals, without any distinction, and are identical with
the catalogue of Trent.

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]