John Briggs wrote:
> would suggest that the very fact that there was no translation feast was the
> reason why some other event in his life (ordination, consecration) was
> celebrated for his "second" feast.

This would be very reasonable were it established that there was in the
twentieth century no translation feast for Gregory.  But repeated
proofless assertions that there was no such feast have the same status
in argumentation as the original proofless assertion that there was one
and are consequently not persuasive.  In fairness to John W., and being
uninformed as to the details and circumstances of the relatively recent
Roman relocation of Gregory's principal feast to 3. September, I prefer
to keep an open -- albeit skeptical -- mind about John's statement that
"the new date is the traditional translation feast."  How traditional it
really was (if indeed this feast can be shown to have existed) is of
course another matter.

Best,
John Dillon

to: [log in to unmask]