Possibly to another location in St. Peter's on the Vatican.  A
translation can occur within the same building.  Greg has had several of
these; the last, one reads, occurred in 1606.  To compare great things
with small, that was also the year in which Lidanus of Sezze's remains
were formally translated from their previous resting spot in Sezze's
cathedral to that building's new high altar.

As Phyllis observed in her initial posting, 3 September 590 is the date
of Gregory's consecration as pope.  Perhaps one of his translations was
timed to commemorate that event.

Best,
John Dillon

John B. Wickstrom wrote:
> Well, no. A "translatio" marks the transferal of the saint's body from one
> place to another (see P. Geary,  _Furta Sacra_  for a wonderful study of
> "stealing" saints' bodies).  <snip>  So my question was, where was
> Gregory's body taken that is celebrated on Sept. 3?
> jw
<snip>
>>See: http://www.catholic-forum.com/saints/saintg02.htm
>>According to this website, 3 Sept is the date of Greg's
>>ascension to the papal throne. He was born and died at Rome.
>>If I understand your question and the word "translation," the
>>answer is Rome.
>>MG
>>
>>-- John Wickstrom <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
<snip>
>>Gregory the Great joins the long line of saints deprived from
>>their centuries-long enjoyment of another feast day, in this
>>case, March 12th, too far along in Lent probably to satisfy
>>Martimort et al.  As with others, the new date is the
>>traditional translation feast. Doest anyone know whence
>>Gregory's translatio?
>>John W.
<snip>
>>Today (3. September) is the feast day of:
<snip>
>>Gregory the Great (d. 604)  One of the very few popes to win
>>the soubriquet "the great" (I can only think of Leo I and,
>>with somewhat less justice, Nicholas I), Gregory was the last
>>of the four fathers of the Latin church.  He was a wealthy
>>Roman patrician who served as prefect of the city before
>>converting his home into a monastery and becoming a monk.  He
>>was soon drafted into papal service, and in 590, much against
>>his will, was elected pope---consecrated on this day in 590.
>>He proved to be a splendid pontiff---a great diplomat, a
>>painstaking administrator, a good pastor, and even a great theologian.
<snip>

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]