Hi, Bob,

I don't know about over-reaction... not when
in the 1980's we still find a doctoral diss that
compares an  OE translation of  the Psalms to
"The" Vulgate that, with a nose in the air
criticism, finds, among other things, (surprise)
the translation wanting in "accuracy."

"The" Vulgate did not exist until after the
Council of Trent of 1546. And if it had not been
for the great polyglots probably would not have
been commanded. There were more than 12,000
Latin versions -- complete or partial -- floating
around at the time and with lots of variations.

> Talk about over-reaction! As a grad student, I once suggested that perhaps
> "eschatology" needed a rest. I was wrong. It just needed closer definition for
> specific uses.
>
> "Vulgate" as the abstract concept of the Latin Bible Jerome produced for his
> sponsor(s)  makes sense, as does "Septuagint" for the supposed efforts of Ptolemy's
> supposed group of 72 translators of the Hebrew Pentateuch. That neither ideal
> entity exists, or perhaps ever existed beyond the idealized original, does not
> render the terms meaningless. But as VK preaches (partly blaming me), let's be
> clear what we mean by the terms.
>
> While there never was an original and homogeneous "the Septuagint Bible" in the
> broad sense of an ancient Greek biblical translation/edition (of course by the 4th
> century CE, such an anthology had been compiled and came to be dubbed "the
> Septuagint," in its various forms), and there never was an "Old Latin (Itala, Vetus
> Latina) Bible" in the same sense (although Latin translations of various biblical
> books were produced by various people in various times and places prior to Jerome,
> and these materials may also have been collected into a Latin biblical anthology by
> the 4th century -- what was Jerome commissioned to replace/correct?), there
> apparently was a selfconsciously homogeneous edition/translation of it all produced
> by Jerome around the start of the 5th century, "the Vulgate."
>
> I know, I know. What about the Psalter, for which Jerome did at least two editions.
> Are they both "Vulgate"?

No, they are not both "Vulgate." Gallican versions, after
editing in the 16th century, are what  is called "The Vulgate."
Jerome's first translation of the Psalter was compiled
based on existing Latin (vetus/Latina) versions (mare's
nest). He was quite dissatisfied and did a fresh translation
(this is "The" Gallican).Still dissatisifed, he (with the help of
Paula and her women) made a fresh translation called
Hebraicum.

The three versions of Jerome's psalm translations
around  in Western Europe, as already mentioned,
were referred to as Gallican, Romanum, and Hebraicum.
Note that the Medievals did not write "the" -- just Gal.,
Rom., and Heb. above the columns. And the Medievals
sure didn't refer to "The Vulgate."

>My edition of the Latin Bible (Old Vulgate) has the Iuxta
> Hebraica Psalter as an appendix, so in that sense, yes (or maybe yes minus). But
> that's what footnotes and careful definitions (and attention to context) are for,
> nicht wahr?
>
> RAK
But is it sufficient to break the idea of a monolithic homogeneous "The"
that drives so much critical work on the Psalters off into swamps and
quicksand? No, it is not. Is not the attempt to get away from "the" why
in Biblical, as you know, scholars refer to OG and MT?  It sure doesn't
help the situation when certain publishers insist on "the."

VK, there are 14 OE versions of the Psalms, some incomplete.
Of these 14, there are two main strrams and two isolates. 6 a
re based on Gallican -- these are all products of, and post, the
Benedictine reform. 6 are based on Romanum . The Vespasian
and the Paris Psalters are isolates. The 6 Romanum based ones
may or may not be translations -- they are usually called "glosses" --
but I have me doots. The 6 on Gallican again may or may not
be "glosses." The two isolates.are translations from original texts.

 John, as there was no such thing as a "typical" Medieval Vulgate -
Psalter -- they  wouldn't have known what you were talking
about --, you might be able to settle for the Gallican version
in the Eadwine ... it's a deluxe altar psalter and a study
psalter with commentaries and, as I noted, versions of
Romanum and Hebraicum.

Incidentally, this is what Chapters 9 and 10 are all about --
religious music, the psalms are why 10 is called "To Sing
a New Song."

Regards,

Rochelle