The mind is gone! A postcard with this image was mailed to me by someone who lives in Rome. Hence the confusion. Thanks, John.
MG

-- "John B. Dillon" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

I don't remember and can't quickly identify the depiction in Rome of
which Marjorie speaks.  There's a famous one in the cathedral of
St.-Etienne in Auxerre.  See:
http://www.auxerre.com/decouver/ville3.htm
http://perso.wanadoo.fr/ot-auxerre/patgb.htm#cathedral

Here's a sixth-century Coptic comb with what has been interpreted as a
Christ on horseback:
http://www.copticmuseum.gov.eg/English/internal/gallery_z1.asp?piece_id=112&section_ID=7

But I'm not sure that these images are exactly what you want.  A famous
representation of Christ militant is this well known sixth-century
mosaic from the Archiepiscopal Chapel in Ravenna:
http://www.stanford.edu/class/ihum21a/img/b9.jpg
This is reproduced in Jaroslav Pelikan, _Jesus through the Centuries_
(Yale Univ. Pr., 1985), after p. 30, and in many other venues.

Going further back, you will find lots on Hebraic antecedents in Martin
Klingbeil, _Yahweh Fighting from Heaven: God as Warrior and as God of
Heaven in the Hebrew Psalter and Ancient Near Eastern Iconography_
(Fribourg [Suisse]: University Press; Go"ttingen: Vandenhoeck &
Ruprecht, 1999; Orbis Biblicus et Orientalis, no. 169).

Best,
John Dillon

PS:  It's Sta Prasseda (Latin: Praxedis).

Marjorie Greene wrote:

> I recently visited a church in Rome with a depiction of Christ as a warrior (I think) on a white horse. It's rather famous, but I can't remember which church it was in. I've tried the websites of Sta Sabina, Ss Crisogono and Clemente, Sta Maria in Trastevere. I also visited either Sta Pudenziana or Sta Pressede (sp?) but can't remember which. Perhaps John Dillon knows where this image is. Since you mentioned "Religious art," I thought I'd call your attention to this image - whose whereabouts I've despaired of finding!
> MG
> p.s. There are a lot of websites concerning the rider on a white (pale) horse as Christ, so this apocalyptic image should have a wealth of literature about it.
>
> -- Salvador Ryan <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
> Dear listmembers,
>

> I would be grateful if you could help me out on this one. I am currently
> writing something on late medieval Gaelic Irish depictions of Christ in
> warrior-mode, i.e. defeating the enemy by riding into battle on his steed
> (the cross). I am aware of some work done on the continental medieval lover-
> knight theme but was wondering if someone would be so kind as to point me
> in the direction of useful works on the longer historical development of
> the more general warrior-Christ theme and its appearance in the Fathers /
> religious art / devotional literature etc. (from the earliest centuries to
> the later medieval and early modern periods), including, of course, the
> more specific lover-knight theme also.
>
> Many thanks,
>
> Dr Salvador Ryan, Department of Modern History, NUI Maynooth, Ireland.

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]

Get your name as your email address.

to: [log in to unmask]