I recently visited a church in Rome with a depiction of Christ as a warrior (I think) on a white horse. It's rather famous, but I can't remember which church it was in. I've tried the websites of Sta Sabina, Ss Crisogono and Clemente, Sta Maria in Trastevere. I also visited either Sta Pudenziana or Sta Pressede (sp?) but can't remember which. Perhaps John Dillon knows where this image is. Since you mentioned "Religious art," I thought I'd call your attention to this image - whose whereabouts I've despaired of finding!
MG
p.s. There are a lot of websites concerning the rider on a white (pale) horse as Christ, so this apocalyptic image should have a wealth of literature about it.

-- Salvador Ryan <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

Dear listmembers,

I would be grateful if you could help me out on this one. I am currently
writing something on late medieval Gaelic Irish depictions of Christ in
warrior-mode, i.e. defeating the enemy by riding into battle on his steed
(the cross). I am aware of some work done on the continental medieval lover-
knight theme but was wondering if someone would be so kind as to point me
in the direction of useful works on the longer historical development of
the more general warrior-Christ theme and its appearance in the Fathers /
religious art / devotional literature etc. (from the earliest centuries to
the later medieval and early modern periods), including, of course, the
more specific lover-knight theme also.

Many thanks,

Dr Salvador Ryan, Department of Modern History, NUI Maynooth, Ireland.

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]

Get your name as your email address.

to: [log in to unmask]