At 1:23 PM +0200 9/1/04, Rochelle Altman wrote:
>Of course Chaucer needs to be "glossed." -- but
>not in all the tales. Somehow it seems that the
>Miller's Tale gets across without much need for
>glossing... gee, I wonder why? Unfortunately
>textually, so does Shakespeare (and Dante).
>Professional companies can bring the plays to
>life for audiences -- and if they are good, they
>will illustrate some of  the multiple references
>for them. Audiences do not need to understand
>all references swept along by the movement as
>they are, but please do not tell students
>struggling to understand the multiplicity of
>connotations that he can be *read* as-is...
>it just t'aint so.

Wandering yet further afield from religion, the Globe Theatre ran
what seems to have been a successful experiment this summer with a
production of Romeo & Juliet in something approximating its
"original" pronunciation:
http://theater2.nytimes.com/2004/08/23/arts/23note.html

O    Chris Laning
+    Davis, California