Dear listmembers,

Further to our discussion of images of Christ as warrior, I have just come
across a nice article which deals with this theme in the context of the
Gospel of Nicodemus text and early Irish poetry. The details are given
below:

Lisa Lawrence, 'The Harrowing of Hell in the poems of Blathmac and the
Gospel of Nicodemus: dependence or convergence?', in PROCEEDINGS OF THE
HARVARD CELTIC COLLOQUIUM xv (1995), pp 117-25.

It's not a bad place to start if you require a general introduction to the
military metaphors surrounding Christ's death and descent to Hell, tracing,
as it does, their appearance in the works of various Fathers of the Church.

Best wishes,

Salvador Ryan

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]