I've recently been looking at several wills of husbandmen from the first half of the seventeenth century, for the village of Bunny in the County of Nottingham.  I am intrigued that a number of these leave small bequests to the lord of the manor, his wife and his children.  These are of a few shillings, and are the first bequests listed. The overall amount left in these wills varies, but as an example, in one of these, other bequests amount to a total of around £60.

I can only assume that these are a means of expressing respect and affection to the family, as the monetary value is so small.  Does anyone know if this was a common practice? It's not one I've come across before.

Thanks, Carol

Carol Allison

Assistant Librarian for Fine Art, History of Art and Material Culture, and Engineering and Technology

(Art & Design, Computing & Engineering, Health & Life Sciences Team)

 Kimberlin Library, De Montfort University, Leicester LE1 9BH

Tel: 0116 2551551 (ext 6686)

email: [log in to unmask]